Custom Search

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Butterscotch Pudding Recipe

 

Butterscotch pudding offers our taste buds a rich , delicious, creamy taste that reminds me of childhood. Butterscotch itself is made of brown sugar and butter. From hard candies to sauces and puddings butterscotch has been long loved. A close love but definitely quite different is caramel. The main difference is that caramel will use white sugar and uses heavy cream. The source for this recipe



  • 1/2
     cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 Tbsp corn starch
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp bourbon (optional)

  • Over medium/medium-low heat, melt the brown sugar with the salt and the water. The water helps the sugar to dissolve and melt evenly. Heat until bubbling, and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes more, keeping a close eye on it and making sure it doesn't burn. Don't stir it while it is cooking, but you can swirl the pan around a bit to distribute the heat if needed.
  • Allow the melted brown sugar to cool for a few minutes.
  • Meanwhile, dissolve the cornstarch in a little bit of the milk, and whisk until very smooth. Add the egg yolks, and whisk until smooth.
  • Add the corn starch slurry to the rest of the milk and cream, and whisk briefly to combine everything.
  • Add the milk/cream mixture to the partially cooled brown sugar, whisking as you go. The sugar will seize up and become hard, but don't worry, everything will melt once the pan goes back on the heat.
  • Return the pan to the heat, and gently bring the whole mixture to a boil over medium-low heat, whisking constantly. Once all the brown sugar has dissolved and the mixture is beginning to thicken, switch to a silicone spatula so that you can scrape the bottom and sides of the pan as it thickens.
  • Once the pudding comes to a boil, (it should be quite thick), take it off the heat and immediately pour it through a fine mesh strainer.
  • Add the butter, vanilla extract, and whiskey (if using), and whisk vigorously to combine (I whisked mine for a good minute or so to get the butter well incorporated.)
  • Pour the pudding into serving containers, and enjoy warm, or allow it to fully set in the fridge. It will be fully set in a couple hours.


other recipes you may want to try

21 comments:

  1. YUM! Such a simple dessert but soooo yummy and you can add some cookies for a little variation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to learn how to make this pudding. It was my favorite as a kid. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not a pudding gal but I’m interested in trying this recipe because I love butterscotch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't this look devine? Simple ingredients, step by step instructions. A defiite must try for this weekend. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butterscotch, I am definitely going to be trying this recipe when i have all the ingredients in

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh. I love the addition of bourbon to make it a boozy treat! That's a great variation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! And I love that it looks so easy to make. We will enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. butterscotch stuffs are one of my favourites. can never get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried a butterscotch pudding, but it sounds delicious! I will have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am mouthwatering over this pudding! I am making it for my family this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband loves butterscotch, it is his favourite so it looks like I will have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this sounds fabulous! Homemade pudding is such a treat and it's not as difficult as some might think! Saving this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummmm...I love butterscotch with anything! I can't wait to make your recipe, butterscotch pudding seems so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  14. butterscotch anything sounds delish to me and this recipe sounds so easy too.. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have to make something like this for my husband, its his absolute favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Butterscotch pudding, a timeless treat that brings back sweet memories! 🍮💭 Your description has me craving that rich and creamy flavor. It's fascinating to learn about the distinction between butterscotch and caramel. Thanks for sharing this delightful trip down memory lane and the recipe source. Can't wait to indulge in some homemade butterscotch goodness! 😊👩‍🍳

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing I love more than a good recipe like this one! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks and sounds delicious and it has been a long time since I had Butterscotch Pudding. Love this and have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an easy and delicious recipe. I think this would be a fun treat to make for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how delicious and easy to make this dessert. The kids love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have not had butterscotch pudding in so long and had no idea you could make it from scratch! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post