Custom Search

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Experience With A Baby With Colic



When I was only 16 I had my first child. A beautiful baby girl. The only thing was that at 16 I certainly had helped with babies but had never had one of my own. So when our little angel started fussing  the first thing I did was take her to the E.R. they found nothing wrong with her. Nothing wrong,,,, except that she was a colicky little baby.

If you have never had the opportunity to be around a baby with colic then let me tell you it was not the funnest adventure I had been on. A healthy baby that cries consistently for over 3 hours in a row, on 3 or more days a week for at least 3 weeks can be described as having colic. Colic often starts around six weeks and slows down around during the first few months. Colic can start at any time of day and as I experienced can get worse in the evening. As a teenage parent with a teenage husband and father for the baby we were desperate to find a reason or some way to help our precious baby. Looking back now all I know is that we had to give it time. I do recall taking her to the emergency room a time or two, looking for help from our families and consulting our pediatrician. All medical conditions were ruled out and our baby checked out with good health.



If you are struggling with a baby with colic you may want to try:



Lay him on his back in a dark, quiet room.
Swaddle him snugly in a blanket.
Lay him across your lap and gently rub his back.
Try infant massage.
Put a warm water bottle on your baby's belly.
Have him suck on a pacifier.
Soak him in a warm bath.

this often irritating always loving post was shared at
Nifty Thrifty Things --- Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Inspire Me Monday

2 comments:

  1. HI Angie
    Our first child had colic.We had to give ourselves permission to put her in her crib and walk away to get a break. We were living with our inlaws at the time and my father in law would walk her up and down the street when he got home from work. She screamed the entire time (like clockwork), but it was a much needed break for us. And, then just like that at around 10 weeks she stopped. She never had a meltdown again. Great tips! laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so recall those days I think the memories of our daughter having colic will ever go away

      Delete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post