Custom Search

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Do You Know Colon Cancer



My mother in law, may God bless her soul, suffered from colon cancer. She spent many days in the hospitals and also had surgeries. However, the cancer was strong and she struggled with it. In the end my mother in law would live some 19 years after being diagnosed. Ten + years later we still all recall her and the battle she fought with tears in our eye but pride in our hears. When given the chance to share about colon cancer I do so in honor of "mom"

Colorectal cancer or colon cancer occurs in the colon and / or rectum. The colon as you can see in the picture is part of the large intestine or large bowel. The rectum as we all should know is the passage way that connects the colon to the anus



Colon cancer is highly treatable if discovered early. Colon cancer after spreading to the lymph nodes can be treated with surgery followed by chemotherapy with a good goal as well. It is when the cancer spreads to the liver, lungs, or other sites that treatment can help add years to ones life Research is still being done to provide hope for individuals with colon cancer in every stage.

Colon cancer often develops as polyps in the colon first. Abnormal growths inside the colon or rectum may later become cancerous if not removed.



Men and women of all races and ethnic groups can be affected by colon cancer. Individuals 50 years or older is a strong factor as well but those younger than 50 is on the rise as well. More than 50,000 individuals die each year because of the third most common cancer in the US and the second leading cause of death.








21 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this very informative post. Colon cancer is one scary disease.

    Stopping by from Over The Moon Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your mother in law but it is good that you are now spreading awareness. Removing polyps is such a routine operation I have even had one removed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES! COLON CANCER IS A VERY SCARY THING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother in law was definitely a fighter, living for 19 years and she has been diagnosed. I'm sure it wasn't easy for her at all. It's good that she had you and your family to support her through those hard moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are the early symptoms to watch for? I guess all people over 50 should be screened

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an uncle who had colon cancer and had surgery but never gone chemotherapy. Thanks for the information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your mother in law's battle with colon cancer, she must have had great doctors to survive that long battling such a crippling disease.

    Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very sorry that your Mother in law battles colon cancer. Cancer sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is such good news that colon cancer is treatable when discovered early enough! Cancer sucks so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother in law lost her battle with colon cancer. As I think of her, I am grateful for the time we shared and I wish she would have met our youngest, who we named in her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so rough. I have a friend who has gone through it and it was a long and hard battle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness me this is so frightening, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for your loss I know exactly how you feel. We lost our beloved Uncle due to colon cancer. It sad till now we cant find cure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My father-in-law died after a long battle with colon cancer. It's a devestating disease. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this. I honestly did not know very much about this. I have heard of it but do not know anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate you sharing with us your mother in law's story and sharing with us more on colon cancer. It's so important to learn more about many leading health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh!! I am sorry to hear what happen to your mother in law. My friend have colon cancer too and she felt really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Colon cancer is one of these things that is not talked about enough. Thanks so much for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear about your loss. Cancer in any form is horrible. My mom passed away from Breast Cancer when I was 18.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great that you're shedding light on colon cancer. Sucks! But people need to learn about whats going on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for sharing this informative blog post and sorry for your loss. I would like to ask you if you know the symptoms of the colon cancer ?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post