Custom Search

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Jelly Filled Donut Cupcakes

June 8th is national Jelly donut day. My mother who was a wonderful baker has made jelly donuts for the family and we loved them. Today, I will not be following in her footsteps. Rather, I will be making what many that I know consider the next best thing. 

Jelly Donuts Cupcakes are to me easier to make and taste great as well. On top of that it is a vegetarian recipe that tastes delicious. The recipe comes from an older vegan cookbook by the title Veganomicon





Jelly Filled Donut Cupcakes
Source: Veganomicon 

1 cup soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbs cornstarch
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup + 2 tbs sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup raspberry, strawberry or grape jam
2 tbs powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350ยบ and line a cupcake tin with paper liners. In a mixing cup, combine the soymilk, vinegar and cornstarch and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Create a well in the center of the flour for the wet ingredients.

Mix the soymilk mixture with a fork to dissolve the cornstarch and pour into the flour mixture. Add the oil, sugar and vanilla, and mix well.

Fill the liners with batter 3/4 full. Place a heaping spoonful of jam into the center of each cupcake, being careful not to overfill. The jam will sink into the bottom of the cupcake during baking.

Bake cupcakes for 21 to 23 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, and then set uncovered overnight in a cool and dry place. This will make the tops slightly crispy, like a donut crust. Using a sifter, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

You can use your choice of jam. Raspberry I believe is a good choice but you can choose whatever you like best




Sifted flour really is so much better!
Note the well in the center...
I mixed this by hand. I rule...

I want this framed in my house...
Beautiful!
Who ordered the muffin top? *tee hee*
Yum!

shared at 

3 comments:

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post