Custom Search

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Garden Recipe: Wilted Lettuce

Wilted lettuce is a favorite summertime salad even though it isn't the best for me. I grew up with parents who raised a large garden. They had several children to feed and a large garden was needed. I was taught how to snip or break off leaf lettuce so more could grow back rather than pulling it up in which case there would be no more for the season. Wilted lettuce is fairly easy to make with just a bit of kitchen knowledge. 
 
Start with some leaf lettuce that has been washed thoroughly.  
 
 wilted lettuce goes perfect with a delicious blt. Bacon will be used in the wilted lettuce as well.
 
Add the bacon and some thin sliced onion to the lettuce.
Heat the bacon grease and add about a heaping teaspoon of sugar. Add a splash of vinegar (be careful because it bubbles up)
 
Pour over the lettuce and there you have it! Wilted lettuce just like when I was a kid. Yummy Enjoy!!!

shared at
Garden Party
Hearth and Soul
coastal charm

1 comment:

  1. Your Wilted Lettuce Salad sounds delicious - and I alway pick lettuce the way you described too - it's wonderful how it will keep going all year! I have had a salad similar to this in France - it's so interesting how recipes travel between cultures! The French one is slightly different as the vinaigrette is cold and it is served with a poached egg on top - but it's so lovely when different cultures have things in common! I blogged it as Salade Frisee aux Lardons a couple of years ago if you want to have a look :-) Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post