Custom Search

Thursday, January 11, 2018

How To Make Milk Gravy

Milk Gravy is something I was introduced to as a teen. I had an early job of taking care of an older man who desired a meal that included milk gravy. I knew my mother could make it but I had no idea where to begin. She told me over the phone how to make it and I will never forget how that delicious gravy tasted. After I started dating my husband (of 31 years, may I add) I would fall in love with milk gravy all over again. His grandmother would make up some of her famous buttermilk biscuits and make milk gravy to go along side. Oh my perhaps I fell in love with my husband because of his grandmothers cooking (only joking).

Milk Gravy is in deed a very easy gravy to make. Milk gravy is the base of many biscuit and gravy meals, chicken fried steak and country fried steak as well.


1/4 cup pan drippings (bacon drippings or sausage drippings)*
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk or heavy cream, room temperature
Salt and pepper to taste

*  You can use the drippings/grease from any meat - but bacon and sausage are the traditional ones used and preferred.

 Remove the bacon or sausage once it is cooked and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. See that brown stuff in the bottom of your pan? That's going to be your gravy! Using the same frying pan that you cooked your bacon or sausage in, over medium-high heat, combine bacon or sausage dripping and flour; brown flour, stirring constantly with a whisk or fork. Gradually add the milk or cream, stirring constantly until all is added, and cook until the gravy is smooth and thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve the milk gravy hot over biscuits


recipe source here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post