Custom Search

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hodgepodge Wednesday




Growing up, were you close to your grandparents? Tell us one or two specific things you remember about them.

I was very close to my grandparents. They were both farmers and worked hard. The one part that they differed was that one set owned their land and had for many years and the other simply farmed the land. This was never an issue til after their deaths when one family inhereted the land and the other went to the rightful owners and was tore down. But we are not talking about that we are recalling memories so let me tell you a bit.

It is what my grand-pa would call "roastenere" time He would pay us kids a penny an ear to head to the sweet corn field and pick corn. It would take us all day and it was so fun. I am not sure if this was to get us out of my grand-mothers hair or not but this was so much fun with all of our cousins out there. 

Cooking was another area that both my grand-mothers were great at. The yumminess of it all was so good whether it was savory or sweet you could count on it to be good. I can recall the many family reunions that we would go to with both sides of the family and the line would stop and someone in the back would say "is that Bob up there.... keep the line going Bob taste it after you sit down" lol. My mothers family was responsible for a fish fry that gave all proceeds to the nearby cemetary. 

Whats an item that you were attached to as a child?? What happened to it?? 

I was attached to a musical bear and my raggedy ann doll. While I am not sure where the doll went I still have the musical bear. I also had an imaginary friend but one day when I was young she just left and went to her own home (no memory of this but my mom said it happened)

When you look out your window, do you see the forest or the trees (literally and figuratively)? Explain.

I look out the window I see a line of trees, not a forest for I can see through them and past them  but still the trees are there. This is sort of like my life right now I still have to go through a lot to get to the goal but I can see the future within reach 

Do you like sour candies? Which of the 'sour' foods listed below would you say is your favorite?grapefruit, Greek yogurt, tart cherries, lemons, limes, sauerkraut, buttermilk, or kumquats 

Have you ever eaten a kumquat? What's your favorite dish containing one of the sour foods on the list?

I do not really care for sour candies, it seems as if my grand-children do though. I like grapefruit both pink and white, I do not eat yogurt, tart cherries are a favorite of mine and often miss my cherry trees, lemons and limes are among top fruits for me as I often add them to my drinks and food and love a good lemonade or limeade, sauerkraut along with something else is yummy, not quite sure about buttermilk as I use it for cooking but do not drink it alone, have no idea what a kumquat is . 



July 1st marked the mid point of 2017. In fifteen words or less, tell us how it's going so far.

Blog wise going great, Family doing well, work could be better 


Insert your own random thought here.

Back to school time often means trip to dr. , dentist and eye doctor. If the child in your life needs glasses for schools there is a great book called Arlo needs glasses that would be great gift for them. 



4 comments:

  1. Both of my grandmas were good cooks too, the gene did not pass to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have my Raggedy Ann and Andy! They are battle worn but still a precious part of my childhood memories. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an entire collection of raggedy ann and andy now but wish I had my original doll. I do have a picture of me and her together. thanks for visit

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your memories with your grandparents. Glad you still have your doll. Yes buttermilk works best for cooking but I don't care for the taste of it. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post