2 cups all-purpose flour (6 cups)
1 tsp baking powder (3 tsps)
1 tsp salt (3 tsps)
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 cups or 4 sticks)
1/2 cup sugar (1 1/2 cups)
1 egg (3 eggs)
1 Tbls milk (3 Tbls)
1 tsp vanilla extract (3 tsps)
1. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat 1 minute more. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, beating until smooth.
4. Shape dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Candy Cane Twists
1. Divide Butter Cookie Dough in half. Add 4-5 drops red food coloring to one half. Add 1/2 tsp peppermint extract to the other half. Mix each half well.
2. For each candy cane, on a floured surface, roll a tablespoon of each dough into a 4-inch long rope.
3. Twist the ropes together and bend to form a candy cane shape.
4. Place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy or candy canes.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F, 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely before removing from pan.
1. Divide Butter Cookie Dough in half. Mix 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder into one half. Mix 5 drops green food coloring and 1/2 tsp peppermint extract into the other half.
2. On a floured surface, roll out each half into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle.
3. Place one half on top of the other. Roll with a rolling pin to help them stick together.
4. Starting from one long side, tightly roll the dough into a cylinder shape. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
5. Cut 1/8-inch thick slices and place on a greased cookie sheet. Insert a craft stick into each ( We didn't do this part). Bake at 375 degrees, 7 to 9 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool a few minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.