I love vintage recipes and have shared some here rom time to time. I believe that these cookies are ones that my grandmother would seal the oven shut with tape so no one would open the door and ruin them.
Yield: Aproximately 2 dozen
· 2 egg whites
· 2/3 cups sugar
· Pinch of salt
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 cup pecans, chopped
· 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy, approximately 3 minutes.
3. Slowly add sugar while beating egg whites until stiff.
4. Stir in salt, vanilla, pecans and chocolate chips. Drop onto ungreased tin foil by the spoonful (I used a larger dining spoon). Note: I followed the original recipe to the letter though put the foil on a baking tray for support. I think they could be put directly on a cookie sheet as well.
5. Turn off the oven. Place cookies in the oven and leave until morning.