Glass canning jars with lid bands
Acrylic paint: green, white, black
Large, medium, and small round sponge applicators
2 metal nuts per jar
Instant grab glue
Clear gloss sealer spray
- Remove tops from jars; remove lids from the bands and save them for another project. (See photo.)
- Paint bands black and jars green; set aside to dry. (See photos 1, 2.)
- When dry, paint a second coat on the jars and have an adult spray the black bands with sealer spray. Set aside to dry.
- Dip the large round sponge applicator into white paint and dot on the eyes to the front of the jar. (See photo.)
- Mix a small amount of green paint with some white paint to make a light shade of green. Dip the small round applicator into the green paint and add the
nose to the front of the jar. (See photo.)
- While the eyes and nose are drying, take the black marker and lightly draw on stitches and a mouth on the face. (See photo.)
- Use instant grab glue to attach a nut to the side of the jar. Allow it to dry for several minutes before turning the jar over and gluing a nut to the
other side. Stand the jar up and let everything dry. You may need to check thenuts and make sure they are sticking. Simply press them back in place if need be. (See photo.)
- Dip the medium round sponge applicator into black paint and add the pupils to the eyes. Allow them to dry completely. (See photo.)
- Have a grown up spray the jars with gloss sealer spray, each jar and black band should get three coats, wait 30 minutes between coats.
- When everything is dry, screw the black bands back onto the jars and add a tea light candle. Wait until it gets dark and watch them glow! (See photo.)
- For a safer option, you can purchase battery-operated tea light candles.
- If you don’t have canning jars, you can use any type of recycled glass jar. Simply paint the rim of the jar black in place of a band.
- These jars make great holders for your Halloween party table as well. Fill them with pixie sticks, straws, or lollipops!