Custom Search

Monday, March 28, 2011

What Easter Means To Me

John 11:25-26


Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.
 
Easter means many things to me the first and most is the fact the thought of the Cross and the Empty Tomb. Easter is the part of the story where Jesus rises up from the tomb and overcomes death. Amen!!! After visiting with many so that the miracle can be recorded he then ascends to Heaven where he makes a place for me and you. This is the part of Easter where as a Christian I share this story with my family. We attend church as a family dressed in our best The dressing up is not as important as it once was but when I was a child you dressed to the T everyone went out and bought a new Easter outfit to attend church in and of course the dinner at Grandmas afterwards. Many times Church's will host Easter cantatas, children spring programs or have other events. I have been in many and have been a member of the audience in many events.
 
Easter ware for me would be a very nice dress like the one pictured above. I can remember the first Easter I was able to purchase a sundress without a jacket with my mothers permission. Because Easter is also found in the beginning of spring weather the style of clothing goes from winter to spring and dresses like these when I was a teenage girl were the rage. Grandmother often requested that a shawl be worn with this type of dress because young women do not show bare skin as she would say. Easter always meant that we would go out either the weekend prior to or slightly before that in search of shoes, clothes, and often jewelry or a purse to carry along.
 
Daffodils are beautiful after a long winter and are commonly refereed to as Easter Lillies here in Southern Illinois part of the reason for this is because they often appear right around Easter time. My mother would quickly remind your that these are not Easter Lillies as an Easter Lilly is much different in nature. Easter Lillies are just another reminder to me that spring is coming soon and that Easter is close at hand.


Dying Easter eggs is a common tradition and one that I have done since I was a little girl and participated with my family as a little girl and then with my own children when I was older. If you want to use natural egg dyes to color your Easter eggs here is a link to a recipe that you can use.
 
The best thing to do with the eggs after you have them all colored is to have an Easter Egg Hunt. I can remember several great Easter Egg hunts with my own children.What fun they would have looking for the real and plastic eggs. They could not wait to see what awaited them inside these plastic little eggs. The milk chocolate Easter Baskets and don't forget the Marshmallow Peeps weren't bad either. It all made for a delicious Easter feast (actually the feast often was after the goodies)

What does Easter mean to you? Easter to me means many different things from religious aspects to the clothing we would purchase to wear to the activities we would do with our families. Easter is one of my favorite holidays and one that I have very fond memories of.
 
 
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Hop blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post