Custom Search

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Children and Asthma

Asthma seems to travel in our family. From as far back as I can remember symptoms of asthma has appeared in adults and children alike. While asthma makes even adults feel bad it is the children that I worry about the most. Being a mother of several children with asthma as well as a caregiver of children with asthma I have been through a lot and yet do not know it all. I have one child with onset asthma which comes from no where and has lead to me giving CPR on more than one occasion. For the most part though my children, nieces, nephews and grandchild suffer from asthma that comes on slow or quick and often because of weather change or other change. My husband and brother have seen me shaken when I hold a child who is wheezing and coughing and finding it hard to catch their breath. Parents with children with asthma have probably felt the same way. While I have learned a few tricks like a hot steamy shower or steamy cup of coffee can help break up the wheeze and croup there is much I believe that I could learn. The symptoms of asthma often occur at night and wakes both child and parent. Asthma can be a terrible problem and a pediatrician or doctor should be consulted to see if any or what medications are available to help with symptoms. I know that my children all have inhalers which help them to breathe. Does your child have asthma? What if any problems have you dealt with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post